Role: Lead Level Designer
Location: Leamington Spa
Type: Full-time Role
Words from the Hiring Manager
“We need someone that can light up a room and delight people with their ideas and direction. A truly capable leader (or leader in waiting) some past experience a must.
They need to be able to lead a team via their own personal style and give confidence to the team, project leadership and stakeholders. Therefore they need to be able to tailor their approach based on the situation. Most importantly, they need to be a motivating individual, one that can get the job done and push people to achieve their best.
They also need to be highly skilled at building action or shooter orientate levels in Unity. Also in world building and narrative”…
Pixel Toys are looking for an exceptional level design leader with action game experience (e.g. third-person / shooters) to join our burgeoning studio and help build our next wave of VR and original IP titles.
This exciting opportunity would suit a Lead Level Designer or Senior who’s looking for the next step in their career.
Successful candidates will have the experience and passion for motivating and managing their team within a diverse and supportive environment, while creating amazingly fun, immersive and action-packed experiences.
- Create and oversee the creative level design process according to the vision of the game.
- Design and develop prototype level content and ‘tent pole’ examples for the team to follow.
- Oversee the creation and maintenance of detailed and comprehensive level designs and guides.
- Direct your team to craft unique spaces where gameflow, visual composition and story leave long lasting impressions.
- Use your extensive knowledge of action level design to deliver experiences that expertly blend movement and action mechanics in ways that delight players.
- Assist with level design implementation tasks when needed.
- Support the production team with the content roadmap and by prioritising the work your team tackles each sprint.
- Review the output of your team, set quality expectations and help your team achieve success.
- Constantly review the game with the team and stakeholders to identify opportunities to iterate and improve quality.
- Contribute to the creation and constant improvement of pipelines and processes.
- Mentor your team members via regular 1-1s and by setting clear developmental and career goals for them.
- Assess and interview new level design candidates when necessary.
- Experience in managing and mentoring level designers
- The will to create and maintain a supportive team environment with highly motivated members
- The passion and desire to create unforgettable experiences that players will fall in love with
- A deep understanding (underpinning your work) of the core principles of action level design
- Extensive knowledge of level creation, from paper design to block out, to functional implementation of scripting, encounters, gameplay mechanics, pacing and balancing
- Proven experience in creating high quality and fun levels for action / shooters (portfolio or past commercial examples necessary)
- Significant experience in using Unity to a high degree from past projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- You’ve had a direct hand in creating levels for action / shooters / VR games
- Competitive salary, reviewed annually
- Staff training and development
- Quarterly Wellness days (On-site massages, Yoga & nutritionally balanced
snacks and health foods)
- Flexi-time working hours
- 25 days holiday + additional duvet/loyalty holiday days
- Monthly socials and twice-yearly whole company events
- Private Medical and Death In Service Insurance
- Contributory Pension
- A warm, modern office environment – tea, coffee, fruit and soft drinks all provided
- Get the weekend started early with beverages and banter every Friday
- And a chance to shape and grow and benefit from the future of Pixel Toys
Pixel Toys is a diverse, equal opportunities employer and believes strongly in maintaining an inclusive workplace that values diversity. We strive to provide an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and join in driving our joint success. Recruitment selection is based on skills, experience and a good Pixel Toys mission and values fit.