Pixel Toys are looking for a Senior or Lead Multiplayer Programmer to help us create exciting new games which include synchronous multiplayer and social features. The role is key to the team success as you will be architecting and owning core network systems and taking responsibility for the delivery of a reliable network player experience.
As a candidate for this Multiplayer Programmer role, you are expected to have worked within a similar role, with a proven ability to define, prioritise and execute on a variety of tasks. You will be responsible for providing knowledge and support to the team with regards to network development workflows and also working on implementing gameplay and other multiplayer systems.
There is the opportunity for the role to grow over time as our teams scale up the use of multiplayer technologies in our games, and you will be in a key role where you can help shape the design, architecture and data structures.
We are looking for someone who is a creative problem solver, an excellent communicator, and who always shows high levels of enthusiasm and a talent for supporting teams and delivering quality code and systems.
- Owning the complete delivery of a reliable network player experience
- Working with team leads and stakeholders to define work specifications and roadmaps for the multiplayer and social aspects of our products
- Create technical designs and implement the key network systems used in current and future titles.
- Work on network architecture and related systems.
- Writing robust code to support fun, engaging multiplayer gameplay.
- Defining data formats and communication protocols between the client and server systems.
- Budgeting and scaling network code.
- Working with other teams to ensure they build systems that interface with network systems APIs appropriately.
- Help mentor and support the work of other developers who are working to support multiplayer features
- Expert knowledge of Unity.
- Professional C# programming experience.
- Solid understanding of coding processes, standards and methodologies.
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in software engineering with a focus on networked or multiplayer game features.
- Worked on several shipped games/products at least one using Unity
- A good understanding of network protocols, server architectures, and data formats, peer-to-peer and server authoritative.
- Experience solving/mitigating problems related to lag, packet loss, jitter, prediction and state replication
- The ability to work together in a team environment and being self-driven, proactive and focused
- A positive and outgoing personality
- A passion for playing and making games
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with Photon Bolt or similar multiplayer technology providers
- Experience with working on networked shooting games
- Experience with working on mobile, PC, VR or Console platforms.
- Experience with real-time backend providers or running headless engine.
- Experience with server build deployment to remote server hardware
- Experience setting up, managing and/or using automated testing to ensure a consistently maintained reliable technology base and working environment for developers, QA and end users
- Experience with player matchmaking, skill calculation and rankings
- Experience with Drop in/Drop out multiplayer, graceful reconnects
- Competitive salary, reviewed annually
- Staff training and development
- Quarterly Wellness days (On-site massages, Yoga and nutritionally balanced snacks and health foods)
- Flexi-time working hours and up to 2 days working from home flexibility
- 25 days holiday + additional duvet/loyalty holiday days
- Monthly socials and twice-yearly whole company events
- Private Medical and Death In Service Insurance
- Contributory Pension
- A warm, modern office environment – tea, coffee, fruit and soft drinks all provided
- Get the weekend started early with beverages and banter every Friday
- And a chance to shape and grow and benefit from the future of Pixel Toys
Pixel Toys is a diverse, equal opportunities employer and believes strongly in maintaining an inclusive workplace that values diversity. We strive to provide an environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work and join in driving our joint success. Recruitment selection is based on skills, experience and a good Pixel Toys mission and values fit.