Pixel Toys are looking for a talented UI / HUD artist to help us create wonderful, entertaining games, with high-end graphics, built for mobile platforms. As one of the core members of the team you will be responsible for working with the creative leads and the art team to take the vision for our games from concept to completion. In this role you will have the opportunity to work in a flexible environment, and to add your own ideas into the mix in order to create the most enjoyable game possible.
As a candidate for the UI Artist role you are expected to have had experience within a similar role, working on the implementation of both in game and frontend UI systems. Consistency, clarity and flair are key and we expect to see this in your work throughout. We are looking for someone who is a creative problem solver, an excellent communicator, and who always shows high levels of enthusiasm and talent for creating great UI.
We are ideally looking for someone who can take end-to-end responsibility for the in-game and frontend UI and HUD of our games, and we realise that finding the right candidate is important, so are willing to consider candidates with strong natural ability who are willing to step up and take on additional responsibility over time.
Pixel Toys is currently using Unity so familiarity with it will be an advantage, as a significant portion of your work will be in Unity creating UI layouts based on your agreed concepts: implementing the textures and fonts you have created, compositing screens, linking screen flow and functionality, and liaising with the design and programming team to ensure a high level of consistency and polish.
- First point of contact for the graphical design, creation and implementation of the UI and HUD for all of our games, working with art leads and team to align this with the overall game style guide.
- Creation of elements from initial concepts through to implementation of final layouts in game.
- Managing platform-specific UI assets and screens, including optimising layout and consistency.
- Font selection, style generation and management, for all languages.
- Working with the other team members to ensure the UI is consistent, polished and meets the design brief.
- Working across UI HUD systems including:
- Implement and manage all UI elements
- Implementing frontend and in game UI screen layouts
- Providing gameplay player feedback with HUD / UI elements
- Implementing and polishing the user interface on an iterative basis
- Creating and triggering UI effects
- Prototyping new screens liaising with code and design
- Ensuring a smooth clear and clean user experience through all parts of the game
Job Requirements: Knowledge, Skills, Experience
Ideally, you will have most or all of the following:
- A passion for UIs that are beautiful, clear and intuitive to use
- Strong graphic design and presentation skills
- Proven experience or an inclination and ability to learn technical UI implementation skills
- Experience with Photoshop / Illustrator/ After Effects
- Experience designing and creating UI layout and flow concepts
- A positive and outgoing personality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A passion for playing and making games
We’ll be really pleased if you have:
- Good knowledge of modern game engines
- Understanding of Free-To-Play UI systems and contemporary UX design
- Unity UI (design and/or setup) experience
- Excellent technical implementation skills
- Experience creating and editing fonts
- Experience working in a 3D package
- Animation skills
- Experience creating concepts
- Experience creating effects
- Experience in a senior/lead role
- Competitive salary, reviewed annually
- Staff training and development
- Quarterly Wellness days (On-site massages, Yoga, nutritionally balanced
snacks and health foods)
- Flexi-time working hours
- 25 days holiday + additional duvet/loyalty holiday days
- Monthly socials and twice-yearly whole company events
- Private Medical and Death In Service Insurance
- Contributory Pension
- A warm, modern office environment – tea, coffee, fruit, and soft drinks all provided
- Get the weekend started early with beverages and banter every Friday
- Private Medical Insurance for yourself
- Free Parking pass (dependent on home location)
- A chance to shape, grow and benefit from the future of Pixel Toys